Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Supporting Writing

UGH! I wish I would have had some of these tools when I was a student.  I am the worst writer and I hate having to write anything more than bullet points.  Even just the way this chapter broke down "What is writing?" made more sense to me than ever before.

  • problem-solving
  • thinking
  • planning
  • decision making
  • transcription
Thinking of writing as planning and a problem to solve would have made it more fun and relatable to me.  

One thing that I have learned the most in my time in grad school is "What is good for one is good for all" meaning that if one student needs a graphic organizer, all students can benefit from a graphic organizer.  I feel that one common misconception with students in honors and AP classes is that they don't need those things.  Well, let me tell you that I could have done a lot better had I had a simple tool to help with an outline or concept map.  

It's encouraging to see that there are so many tools to help students with writing as I know this is a daunting task for a lot of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment