Monday, March 3, 2014

Assistive tech to enhance communication

When I think of assistive technology, communication is the first thing that I relate it to.  It seems that to be a no brainer for that.  Sometimes, I wish I could have some of the enhancements that people with hearing problems are offered.  I feel like it would help me pay more attention to details just in general.  As we've learned throughout our entire program, what is good for one is good for all.
Reading the profile for Michael was interesting to see that he uses his cell phone as an assistive device.  I never would have considered that to be a technical device, but it makes sense with all of the information that can be relayed instantly with cell phones these days.  One thing about his story that resonates with me is his use of ASL.  I feel for him that he is not able to always communicate with people as not everyone "speaks" that language.  In the classroom that I am in now, we are constantly using ASL to help the children who cannot talk yet at least tell us what it is that they would like.  I wish that I would have been taught this at a young age as well.
Nicole's story was so heart-warming to hear that her classmates include her on so much.  The fact that they are so aware of her condition and are willing to still include her really shows that they had great teachers at a young age who taught the children how to accept differences.
Rick Creek's excerpt about what it is like to not be able to communicate.  By going to a party and not speaking to others would definitely be a difficult task.  I have done this before for another class.  It worked out rather interestingly because one of the girls I was with was working on a project for her school about the awareness of those who cannot communicate.  It was a great dual project that we stumbled on.  The setting for me was not that difficult as it was a large group of people that I kind of just stayed in the back.  I learned a lot of facial expressions that night and I think that helped in getting any messages across.
The one thing about this book is that even in the 2 years since it was published, I feel  like there have to be "faster, lighter" options for communication devices.  That is just my opinion, but not my knowledge on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment